More on ADHD | Autism and Tax Benefits

The link above  leads to some information from CRS that you may want to share with your tax preparer.

Completing your tax return is, at least for me, something I cannot do by myself. It's just too complicated and I always get back more than I spent for the services when the return comes.  Heres what the page says:

"If this is a new application for the disability tax credit (DTC), you have to submit a completed (including Part A) Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate, certified by a qualified practitioner or your claim will be delayed. We will review your claim before we assess your return to determine if you are eligible for the DTC.

If you were eligible for the DTC for 2010 and you still meet the eligibility requirements for 2011, you can claim the disability amount without sending us a new Form T2201. However, you will have to send us one if the previous period of approval ended before 2011, or if we ask you to do so.

If you were 18 years of age or older at the end of the year, claim $7,341. Otherwise, complete the chart for line 316 on the federal worksheet in the forms book to calculate your claim.

Supplement for persons under 18

If you are eligible for the DTC and were under 18 years of age at the end of the year, you can claim up to an additional $4,282. However, this supplement may be reduced if, in 2011, someone claimed child care expenses (line 214) or attendant care expenses (as a medical expense on line 330 or line 331) for you. It may also be reduced if you claimed attendant care expenses on line 215 or line 330 for yourself. Complete the chart for line 316 on the federal worksheet to calculate your claim."

If you are missing out on a tax refund that you should be getting, you need to check this out. If your child has a disability and has had an appropriate evaluation, for instance a psychoeducational assessment or an assessment for autism, Aspergers or learning disability, you may qualify. Talk to your tax preparer. Show him or her these forms and get the benefits and help you are suppose to get.